wallpaper

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Jury Duty

I was picked as Juror #1 in a DUI case on Tuesday.  We heard the case and came up with the verdict yesterday evening at 5:00 PM.  He was guilty.  He was DUI but not for alcohol, for drugs.  I never knew it would affect ME the way it did.  It was such an emotional experience for me.  At that moment in the jury room, I truly felt the weight of our decision in our hands.  This guy was the father of two little girls and was 30 years old.  I knew that  if he was guilty, he would be going to jail and leaving his little girls without a dad.  While I know we made the right decision, it didn't make it any easier when the judge went one by one, asking each of the jury members if this was their decision, that he was guilty.  I had to say yes, it was my decision, he was guilty.  It was a very emotional draining day.  In the end, it was HIS choice to do drugs and drive impaired.  The system is fair.  The judge and bailiff were awesome - very, very compassionate people whom I have a lot of respect for.  I'm glad I had the chance to see first hand how this entire system works.  It was a good experience - just an emotional one.

No comments:

Post a Comment